Summer is made for vacations, cookouts, garden parties and pure relaxation. While a refreshing beverage can make these events even more enjoyable, they can sometimes offset the progress you’ve made throughout the week. With this handy cocktail guide, we’ll help you stick with your goals without missing out on your favorite summer sippers.
HELPFUL TIPS TO PREP FOR SUCCESS:
- Hydration is key. Alternate your favorite 21+ summer beverage with an 8-ounce glass of water. This will help keep you hydrated while also hopefully prevent a hangover.
- Nosh on nuts, cheese, or your favorite keto*-friendly appetizers. :ratio’s crunchy granola bars are an excellent snack to enjoy before your summer cookouts if you’re unsure of the options available so you don’t show up on an empty stomach.
- Choose your spirits wisely. Hard alcohol like rum, vodka, gin, whiskey and tequila contain no carbs.
- You can sip on wine! Just remember, a 5-ounce pour of red or white wine contains 5 grams of carbs.
- Beer fans, keep this in mind. A 12-ounce bottle of light beer contains approximately 5 grams of carbs.
- Fruity mixed drinks, frozen or on the rocks, like margaritas, daiquiris and mai tais are usually high in added sugar. Consider making your own mixer with your preferred keto approved sugar source, or dilute a 100% fresh fruit juice with sparkling water and a spirit.
- Tonic water and seltzer water are not one and the same. Tonic water contains sugar and has 32 grams of carbs in a 12-ounce portion, whereas seltzer water (plain) has 0 grams of carbs for the same portion. If you prefer tonic, just opt for a diet variety to stay keto compliant.
OUR SUMMER FAVS
Enjoy your favorite tropical companion with simple ingredient swaps like sugar-free syrup for simple syrup and coconut milk instead of coconut cream.
With unsweetened punch mixes and mixers, you can customize this summer drink. We encourage experimentation with spirits, flavors and garnishes until you find your ideal beverage.
It’s hard to beat a pitcher of sangria on a hot summer day. Orange and lemon extract paired with raspberry tea, red wine and a low-carb sweetener is only made better with fresh or frozen raspberries.
Welcome to easy street. No fancy tricks here; you can give your relaxing days a refreshingly minty spritz by substituting simple syrup with a low-carb sweetener. No, seriously. It’s that easy.
If the recipes above have proved anything, it’s that there is a substitution for everything. Simply omitting the alcohol and leaning into the prominent flavors of your desired beverage is a sure-fire way to still enjoy these summer classics.
SIP ON INTO SUMMER
You don’t have to give up your favorite summer beverages to achieve your goals. You can raise a glass without raising your carbs with a few simple substitutions and a little know-how. Just remember to enjoy responsibly. Share your favorite keto*-friendly summer drinks with us on Instagram or Facebook for a chance to be featured in our page.
*Always consult your physician before starting an eating plan that involves the regular consumption of high fat foods. See information for calorie, total fat and sat. fat content.
**Drink responsibly. Cocktail recommendations for those 21 years and older.