Did somebody say girls’ night? We’ll be there! Oh wait, you're on a ketogenic diet and you're wondering how to make it work? Don't worry, we’ve put together a list of keto*-approved drinks, appetizing apps, delicious dishes and sweet treats to help you host the ultimate keto-friendly girls’ night. So, grab your besties, get comfy and get ready for a night of guilt-free fun.
- Plan ahead. Make a list of keto-friendly snacks, drinks and meals that you and your friends can enjoy.
- Keep it simple. You don't have to make things overly complicated. Simple snacks like roasted nuts, seeds, cheese and sliced meats are easy and delicious must-haves.
- Get creative with your drinks. While many traditional mixers are high in added sugar, there are plenty of keto-friendly options to choose from. Carbonated water, low-calorie powdered flavor packets, and unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk are great mixers to have stocked to help keep the carb content of your drink to a minimum.
- Avoid dehydration. Alcohol naturally dehydrates you, so be sure to enlist the “golden rule” when consuming adult beverages: consume one cup of water for every one alcohol beverage you enjoy!
- Don't skimp on the fat. One of the hallmarks of a ketogenic diet is getting most of your calories from healthy fats, so make sure to include plenty of fat in your snacks and meals.
- Avoid going too “keto-basic.” Part of enjoying a Girls’ Night is sipping and nibbling on the foods you enjoy. No one wants to come over to snack on the same foods they eat at home! Practice moderation and include variety in your menu. Many fruits and vegetables are a great addition to a keto-friendly diet, like leafy greens, mushrooms, raspberries and tomatoes! Present them in fun ways with unique dressings and flavor combinations like we have for you below to really WOW your guests!
Nothing screams girls’ night like sipping on a fun cocktail with your besties. But, when you're on the keto train, you’ve got to drink a little smarter. Have no fear, we've got the lowdown on all the keto-friendly drinks to help you stay on track:
- The low-carb lifestyle has a place for enjoying adult beverages in moderation. It’s all about balance! But, since most alcoholic beverages are high in carbs, it’s important to understand some of the lower-carb options to consider. Here are a few of our favorites!
- Spirits like rum, vodka, gin, whiskey and tequila contain no carbs.
- A 5-ounce pour of red wine contains approximately 5 grams of carbs.
- A 5-ounce pour of white wine contains approximately 5 grams of carbs.
- A 16-ounce can or bottle of light beer contains approximately 8 grams of carbs.
- Mixed drinks like margaritas, daiquiris and mai tais are typically high in added sugar, so consider incorporating a few simple swaps.
- Mix things up by using low-carb sweeteners and keto-friendly mixers such as carbonated water, powdered flavor packets, unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk.
- If you want some extra flavor in your cocktails, try adding a slice of lime, orange or lemon to shake things up.
- Opt for frozen fruit as ice cubes! Frozen raspberries add a beautiful red hue and are a lower carbohydrate fruit choice!
One exceptional example of a keto-friendly mixed drink could be vodka with seltzer water, lime juice and a splash of unsweetened cranberry juice!
Everyone knows appetizers are where it's at. And the best part? All you need is a couple of tasty options to pick from to stave off the “before-dinner hangrys.” Tempt your taste buds while staying on track with a few of our keto-friendly app ideas:
- Deviled eggs filled with a mixture of mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and chopped herbs
- Cucumber rounds topped with smoked salmon, cream cheese and fresh dill
- Guacamole served with sliced jicama or stuffed between melted bell peppers with cheese
Entrees… The main event to any dinner. But, you don’t have to sacrifice taste just because you’re following a keto diet. There are plenty of ways to make sure your dishes are delicious and diet-friendly. From chicken to keto-friendly chili, we've got you covered. Trust us, these main courses will have you coming back for seconds:
- Pistachio-crusted baked chicken breast with a side of creamed spinach and mushrooms
- A keto-friendly chili made with ground beef, tomatoes, onions and spices – served with sour cream and shredded cheese
- A shrimp and cauliflower rice curry stir-fry made with red curry paste, coconut oil, garlic and your choice of vegetables
Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you have to say goodbye to every treat. These keto-approved desserts are a sensational way to end your girls’ night on a semi-sweet note. From keto cheesecake to berry parfait, these treats will keep your taste buds happy, without compromising any of your goals:
- Keto-friendly cheesecake made with almond flour crust and cream cheese, sweetened with a keto-friendly sweetener like erythritol
- Chocolate mousse made with avocado and dark chocolate, sweetened with a keto-friendly sweetener
- A tasty berry parfait made with keto-friendly yogurt, topped with low-carb whipped cream, keto-friendly granola and raspberries
HAVE A BLAST
Now these are just our suggestions. Feel free to get creative and come up with your own girls’ night menu. And regardless of what eating plan you’re following, the most important thing is to enjoy yourself while having a great time with good friends!
*Always consult your physician before starting an eating plan that involves regular consumption of high-fat foods.