Enjoy your favorite comforting and savory flavors without throwing off your meal plan with this keto*-friendly, high protein^ recipe. Sautéed sliced cremini mushrooms and onions, rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, cream cheese, cream and fresh thyme come together to create a delicious filling. Plus — stay on track with almond and coconut flour to make a flavorful crust. Be sure to share your thoughts with us on social @ratiofood.
- 2/3 cup super-fine blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 oz cold cream cheese (from 8-oz package), cut into pieces
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz cream cheese (from 8-oz package), softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded deli rotisserie chicken
1. Place almond and coconut flours in freezer for 30 minutes.
2. In food processor, place chilled almond and coconut flours, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pulse until combined. Add 1/2 cup butter and 2 oz cream cheese; pulse 3 to 5 times or until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. With food processor running, quickly pour beaten egg through feed tube, and process a few seconds until dough begins to come together. Remove dough; shape into flattened disk. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate about 1 1/2 hours or until well chilled.
3. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon xanthan gum and the water with whisk.
4. In 10-inch skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium; add onion. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add 3/4 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper; cook and stir 1 minute. Add broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; beat in xanthan gum mixture with whisk. Continue to cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat; add 4 oz cream cheese and the whipping cream. Beat with whisk until smooth. Stir in chicken. Pour into pie plate. Let stand 15 minutes to cool.
5. Place chilled dough between two pieces of parchment paper; roll into 10-inch circle. Peel one piece of parchment paper off dough (if dough is sticking, place back in refrigerator to chill 15 minutes).
6. Flip dough onto filling in pie plate. Peel remaining parchment paper off dough. Crimp edges.
7. Cover edges with foil; bake 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil; continue to bake 4 to 8 minutes or until crust is golden brown in center, deep golden brown on edges and filling is hot. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
TIPS FROM OUR DIETITIAN
Tip 1: To lower the saturated fat content, consider using a low-fat cream cheese and plant-based butter alternative.
Tip 2: You can swap your mushroom of choice in this recipe and still get that umami flavor. Consider using a UV light exposed mushroom to reap the vitamin D benefits they provide. Hint, it will say right on the package if the mushroom received this natural treatment!
†Net Carbs = 13g Total Carbohydrate – 5g Fiber – 0g Sugar Alcohols
Special thanks to Betty Crocker for this tasty holiday recipe.
^Individual protein needs vary. Standard ranges are between 10-35% of daily calorie needs. High protein is defined as containing more than 10 grams per serving (based on the FDA’s 50 gram daily protein total.)
*Always consult your physician before starting an eating plan that involves regular consumption of high fat foods. See information for calorie, total fat and sat. fat content.